Thread: What color
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 24, 2015, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

What color

Ok, had this in a high school summer rec league game last night. (NFHS rules)

Single official on the stand, not R2, no LJ, no scorers table, only 1 official doing everything (except we keep score on a flip board, not on paper). We are supposed to accept honor calls from teams due to the lack of officials.

Ball hit down the opposite sideline (in front of team benches). Defensive player steps right in front of my view of where it hits so I have no idea if it was in or out. I see the coach for the defensive team signal out, the offensive team signals in. I signal a replay because I have no clue and each team is calling it different.

The problem is the defensive coach then removes her glasses and holds them up saying "Do you need these?" I know she was joking, but it you had a coach actually do this in a real, fully staffed match, what color card would you be issuing? I was thinking about it, and to me I would be going to a red for this, rather than just a yellow card. Had she just said something, then I likely only go yellow, but when she pulls the glasses off and holds them up, now she is using a prop to show her displeasure and it is clear to everyone what the complaint is.

I did not card her last night because 1) I knew she was joking and 2) my cards were sitting on my desk at home.