Thread: LeBron Travel
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 19, 2015, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thread brings up some premises I find interesting and think about a lot. Lets start with 2 and move on from there:

Premise 1: In relationship to the idea of marginal travels "I would rather miss one that was, then call one that wasn't."

Premise 2: Most travels happen when defense requires offense do something difficult or challenging generally on stops or finishes.

Thoughts on each:

P1 - I agree with the spirit of this premise when there are very few what we consider marginal travels in a game. As some posters have stated maybe 1-2 per game. My question becomes what is the number limit before you stop being comfortable? Is there one? If there are 5 marginal travels per game and you pass on them? If there are 20? You see where this is going . . . if we are not talking about missing/passing on 1 or 2 calls per game to avoid 1 incorrect made call, that is very different (In my mind) then missing/passing on a much larger number. What is tipping point? When is better to call 1 that might not be but make sure you get the 4 or 19 or x that were? We're not weighing 1 incorrect made call against 1 incorrect no call. What happens when the number of incorrect marginal no calls drastically outweighs what would be your 1 or small number of incorrect calls made?

P2 - I think that most travels marginal or otherwise happen on the defened take off when players are playing static 1 on 1 face up to the basket. The ball has to be released from the hand before the back foot is lifted. But i feel despite the way the rule is written and without caseplay support we as officials as a whole are much more generous with this then the language says.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!