View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 15, 2015, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I like to refer to the actual wording of the applicable rule when there is a question of the wording and meaning. I believe that understanding the rule is better than the black and white, so you can better judge when it is gray.

In ASA, 8-8.C (wording quite similar in NFHS and NCAA): THE RUNNER IS NOT OUT:

"When more than one fielder attempts to field a batted ball and the runner comes into contact with THE ONE who in the umpire's judgment could not have made an out." (in NCAA "make a play") So, let's parse this rule.

While there is no doubt this could be worded better and clearer, there are some key words that I have highlighted. "THE one" is what tells us there can be only one fielder protected; otherwise, it would eliminate "the", and "one" alone would tell us all who could make the out are protected.

"In the umpire's judgment" is what "let's you off the hook", as you say; that means you get to decide, not the coach telling you how he coaches his team.

And "made an out" means you get to decide that fielders chasing batted balls (usually an F6 chasing a batted ball up the middle) that YOU judge cannot make an out are not protected, and are, in fact, subject to obstruction calls with runners starting on 2nd. In NCAA, (or any other ruleset using that wording) if the F6 could reach and stop the ball, that alone extends the protection with "make a play" versus "made an out", irrespective of your judgment that no out could be made.
Like the response