View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 12, 2015, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
The 3-umpire system is great and not nearly as complicated as many seem to think it is.
I got burned working 3 man in a high school play-off game. I was U3 and a rotation situation came up. I moved over to second to make a call. The ball gets loose, the runner at second breaks for 3rd. I look at 3rd and see no one there. Ended up having to make a close call at 3rd in bad position. Later I ask PU what happened. He said he moved to 3rd, but noticed that U1 umpire never moved, so he held back to cover a possible play at the plate. Also later checking with 1B and he says to me that he is never to cover home. Swell. Yes, it works when everyone knows what they are to do.
I agree and I think that is why there HAS to be so much communication in 3 person. A LOT of people don't work 3 person very much and they aren't comfortable with it so you have to talk and help push and pull your partners around the diamond. I had a 3 person game where my U3 was not very comfortable with 3 person. We had R1 at 1B and a base hit to outfield I came up to 3B as runner came around 2B I see U3 heading at me I yelled "I got 3 pick up batter runner" it jogged his memory and he adjusted and nobody but us knew he almost missed the rotation.

I agree with Irish it's strange sometimes to communicate doing what your suppose to do....we should all know 3 person so why do I need to tell you I'm doing exactly what I'm suppose to do??? Well IMO it's because when people aren't comfortable, and I mean react when the ball is hit knowing where to go without pausing to think about it comfortable, you have to communicate and word it in a way that reminds them to move to thier proper location! Just my opinion.