View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 24, 2003, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Warren, please don't attempt to hide the subject matter by using your paranoia as a panacea for your mistakes. I don't wish to attack every word you write. I merely highlighted the self-contradiction within your post---which I saw as readily apparent---and the incongruity of your statement as compared to the original situation presented. You have recently mistated content from several of my posts, and this now seems to be becoming a repetitive problem within your writing.

While Teek was providing you credit for your detailed answer per the rules you cited, I saw contradiction to the rules in that you were seemingly applying a penalty for an action that occurred after the ball should have been killed for interference---per YOUR summary. I've seen you make such disagreements when others make such obvious errors, Warren. Is that wrong to do with you?

The situation as presented lacks information and remains a HTBT.
You are likely correct in penalizing the offense if their actions truly interfered with the play of the game. The offense was the offending party and should not receive benefit of any doubt that might exist. Still, I feel declaring 2 out may be a bit overzealous within the rules of the game.

An interesting point comes to mind, however, with the situation presented.

It appears R1 thought that R2 scored to win the game and abandoned his baserunning efforts.
What happens with base runners who abandon their bases prior to an upheld appeal of a game ending play?

Suppose none of the garbage regarding interference occurred, but the ball merely went errant to the backstop. While the baserunners left their bases thinking the game was over (as perhaps members of an umpiring crew might have done), what if the pitcher called for the catcher to retrieve that throw, and F1 subsequently made a successful appeal of the apparent winning run?

The ball is still live, but now the runners have abandoned their bases.
Do you call other runners out for abandonment?
Do you put them back at the bases they would have had? If so, by what rule?
Or, do you allow the defense to continue to play (and possibly appeal) on runners seeking to find a base in safety?

What if a following runner had passed a preceding runner en route to the festivities before the appeal? Would you then declare that runner out for passing a preceding runner now that we know the game is not ended?

It seems a missed base on a game ending play could have numerous Third World impacts an official would have to make decisions about...........

Freix