View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 24, 2003, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Since nearly all fields this year had the double base installed at first (for the first time), here are some personal observations...

Most teams simplify the rule to defense-white, offense-orange, regardless of whether the throw is coming from 1st-base side foul territory or not. Have seen a few "dancing into first" situations on D3K as a result as the fielder is hanging over orange to take the throw, with her foot still on white, while the runner tries to tippy-toe onto the orange base.

BU's persist in allowing the defense to use the orange as an extended base for stretching to the throw, even in situations where the orange base is just dirt. As a spectator, I saw two live ball appeals on a caught fly where the defense used the orange base, and one bad throw where the F3 stretched into foul territory for the catch with her toe on orange - OUT in all three.

Most plays at first the double base was a non-factor.

Any comments / observations from your games?
As you know, I don't care for the double-base. I consider it's existence a result of weak coaching and poor 1B mechanics. IOW, the players and coaches are too dumb to learn the correct way to play the position.

That aside, dealing with them is not as difficult as many umpires make it out to be. It is real simple. If there is no play at first, it doesn't exist.

If there is a routine play at first, the moment the runner touches the colored portion, that part of the base disappears. If there is a play coming from fair territory and the runner fails to touch the colored portion of the base, they are subject to a "live ball" missed base appeal.

The only time the offense and defense "may" swap usage is when a play to put the BR out is coming from foul territory.

I think that just about covers it.