View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
We have some funny responses to this issue but on a serious note, I think the problem occurring is that there are too many situations where coaches are asking the base umpire to " get help". If your in the right spot mechanically on the field, tell the coach that and stick to your call. No help necessary. The only thing we are doing is changing the person who we will be having a debate over the play with and now we are going to have the other coach come out on close plays the rest of the game trying to get us to change a call

On a side note, I made a call at the plate in a baseball game and the 3rd base coach asked me to get help from my partner. Conversation lasted thirty seconds. He didn't ask another question the rest of the day.....
AF Championship - 3 umpire crew, I'm on 3rd

Line drive through the 3-4 hole rolling to RC field. We rotate properly and I'm lined up with the throw coming from RC, maybe a foot or two toward the 1b side of 2nd, 8-10 feet from the play. Runner executed a perfect pop-up slide with F6 making a late tag on his thigh. Everyone did everything right, textbook mechanics and call. Pitcher who is standing behind me immediately says, "can you ask for some help". I look over my shoulder and see U1 at the plate and the PU in holding zone toward 3B, so I look at the pitcher (Navy) and say something along the lines of "Really? Are you ****ing serious?" He just laughed and said, "well, I gotta try".

I should note that this was my 3rd AFC, so there was some familiarity with the players and coaches.

But seriously, you are correct. If you are satisfied that you had a clear view of all the aspects of the play and call, no need to go for help.