Thread: Blind as a Bat
View Single Post
Old Tue May 26, 2015, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Seems as some of the coaches/fans over the years were right. I am blind as a bat, or at least on that path. I've always had 20/10 vision. Last 2-3 years I got readers just for up close reading. I still see good in distance but close to mid I'm getting worse quick (far sighted). My eyes are getting worse and I need some correction but am worried about contacts. Anything with the eyes is very uncomfortable for me. Last year, I didn't need any continuous correction but I've noticed difference and am about to go to appointment with optometrist so just wanted to see what others thought before I go. I don't even know if contacts are an option but will find out soon. So what I'm wondering is if any of you had to deal with this how did you do it? Do you wear a special sport glasses that stay on easier? Would you wear glasses while reffing? That will be my first choice over glasses but we'll see. I'm afraid in basketball that I won't be able to keep glasses on easily and would most likely be picking at them a lot. I don't really notice a lot of officials wearing glasses but never really thought about it. What's your take?

Roger
This is right up my alley based on recent experience. I had PRK surgery in 2003 and by 2009, due to my big-time astigmatism, I had already started to lose my 20/20. Anyway, I digress. My point: if your stomach (they give you valium) and your wallet can deal with PRK or LASIK, it might be an option. Especially if you don't have a big astigmatism like me and you've had historically very good vision, which might mean you could get 10 years of good vision instead of just 6. It all depends on your age and your vision's rate of change. You're just getting older....nothing you can do about it....so it might be something worth looking into. But it is $$$.

If this isn't the way you want to go, then glasses will be ok for JV and below basketball and maybe some more rural varsity games. But if you strive for a level above that, then contacts are a must. If you go to a college camp with glasses....trust me from first hand experience....it will be on the top of every evaluation sheet you get. Glasses and facial hair = taboo at the next level. C'est la vie.

After the camp mentioned above, I went straight to the optometrist and explained my predicament. I was nervous, but I wanted to move up so I swallowed my trepidation. Explained my predicament to the doc, and she said for athletic use, 30-day soft lenses were the best option (I use Biofinity Toric but there are several good brands out there). So after an exam she fitted me with trial lenses and after about a week we did a follow-up exam and she tweaked the prescription. After a brief tutorial and a few weeks of practice, I learned a technique for getting my lenses in and out pretty easily. Now it's almost second nature. So you get used to it. No big deal.

If you do get lenses, recognize that, at least the first few years, there may always be some slight difference between what you're accustomed to seeing through your glasses and what you're accustomed to seeing through lenses. The optics will never be an exact match. But close enough is more than good enough to see a basketball game (or the 10K finish line, or the pin on the 14th green) just fine. Update your prescription annually (your eyes will keep changing because you won't get any younger), then order a new 12-month supply of lenses. And then deduct the cost from your taxes as a business expense, because you probably wouldn't wear contacts if it weren't for officiating basketball.

Hopefully this helps. Just went through all of this very recently. I feel your frustration.