View Single Post
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Similar conversation happening on the Facebook page...

I would not change enforcement of the rules (INT, OBS, LBR, etc) for any age. If they don't learn them at the earliest ages, they will have to unlearn bad habits later.

I WOULD, most definitely, change the strike zone at younger ages, especially for lower quality pitchers. No one learns anything from a walk-fest. If NEITHER pitcher can keep from constantly walking batters with a standard strike zone, then an expanded zone is better for both teams. Note that I would use the same zone for both teams, and for the whole game.

On the FB page, one person also pointed out that we are likely to be more lenient on illegal pitches, especially the ticky tack stuff, at younger ages.

BTW - this umpire telling you to your face that he's making calls differently because the game "didn't matter" tells me he shouldn't be on the field... Every game matters to the kids on the field.
I have to disagree with you in some regard on this.

I do think you handle things like the LBR/OBS differently with an 8U game than you do with a HS or College game. Even MS vs HS I will handle OBS and LBR calls differently. For example, at the MS level, if I see a runner on base loose contact with the base slightly before the pitch is released, I am not calling it, but they will be notified (or the coach will). If they are way off the base when the pitch is released, yes I will call it.

Another one I generally won't call right away is the OBS on the first baseman that has no impact on the play. (example, ground single to left field when first base is still standing on the corner of the bag waiting for a throw). I will however go over and tell the player what I saw and what they legally need to do. If it happens again, I will call it. I'm not saying that I won't call any OBS either. If there is contact at the base, I will call it because at that point it has crossed the line into being a safety issue. If the same player is doing the game thing every time that situation arises, it will be getting called. This approach tends to go over much better with the coaches, players and fans at the MS level and below where I work than just calling the obstruction and not letting them know what they did, or calling a runner out on a LBR violation.

I will also be more lenient on the "ticky tack" Illegal Pitch stuff at the lower levels than I am at the HS level, but I may take a few seconds to tell the pitcher or the coach (or I prefer both) if there is something that will be called as they progress.

At the lower levels contrary to what some parents may think, winning is not the only thing. As umpires we are ambassadors for the rules of the game. As such, we need to make sure the players and coaches know the rules of the game. Simply calling something without providing the knowledge as to why it was called does not benefit anyone at the lower levels.

Another thing to remember, at the lower levels were generally are not working with coaches who have a great knowledge of the rules either, so often times we are teaching the coaches the rules as well as teaching the players the rules.

Some things I will always call. INT is one of them. If a player interferes with the defenses chance to make a play I will always call that because interference by definition is giving the team an advantage.

With all of that said, I do agree on the strike zone. If I expand the zone, it is for both teams and it remains that way all game.

Now, as to the original post.