View Single Post
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Adjusting what you call based on the age of the players?

This week, I attended a 8U youth game as a fan, and as a parent. The game was an all-star showcase for the league. It was a well-played game that went 6 full innings in the allotted 1:15 time, and ended in tie, which is a great way for an all-star game at this level to end.

The official worked the game solo and is one with whom I have had umpire-coach disagreements in the past on rule interpretations and judgment of clear violations. The best example was questioning an obvious INT by a runner that was no-called. The response I got was "In a game that mattered, I'd call it." BS reasoning (edit: BS as in protestable in "games that matter"), but whatever: they're 8; moving on.

In the all-star game, there were multiple instances of no-call obstruction, no-call interference, and at least one "changed" call: an out being called halfway through the safe signal on a force play. If I didn't know this official through the grapevine, I would have shrugged it off, but I know this umpire wants to move beyond club ball/high school and into college softball. I've been asked to evaluate this official for high-level 16U/18U play for consideration for a college tryout.

Before I pass judgment based on the body of work I've seen at low-level play, here is the question I want to ask the board: Do you change your enforcement of the rules for lower levels of play? Is it ever appropriate to do so beyond a bigger strike zone for younger pitchers?

Last edited by teebob21; Wed May 20, 2015 at 05:27pm. Reason: Details edited to protect anonymity of official, flippant wording in OP