View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 10:12pm
Administrator

Now I should address, the play that Hawks Coach posted.

I can tell you from years of experience at the YBOA Nationals (both boys' and girls') that the site directors do a very good job of taking care of problem fans. YBOA, unlike other national organizations, take unsportsmanlike players and coaches, as well as unruly fans seriously and will do everything possible to make sure that officials are treated in a professional manner.

In the pre-tournament officials' meeting, how to handle fans is discussed. It is emphasized that the officials should utilize the site managers to deal with problem fans. I would have to say that the situation that Coach described is one of those situations where you let a sleeping dog lie. Fans making load noises by kicking the bleachers is not disallowed under NFHS rules. By interacting with the fans (two juveniles no less), the officials just made things worse.

My rules of "engagement" regarding fans are: Ignore the fans unless:

1) The fan makes threats of phyiscal violence against any participant in the game, i.e., Scorer, Timer, my partners, myself, player, substitute, coach or other bench personnel.

2) The fan comes onto the court for any reason that is detrimental to the conduct of the game.

3) The fan makes inappropriate contact with any participant in the game.

When any of these things happen, I stop the game and inform the site director or game manger of the problem and let them take care of it. If they are unsure of what to do, I tell them that I want the fan removed from the building.

It should also be said that if I think that a fan's actions do not meet the criteria of Items 1, 2, or 3, but I think that the fan is starting to skate on thin ice, I will appraise the site manager or game manager of my observations and request that he/she keep an eye on the fan. The less interaction between an irrational fan and an official the better. Game managers are paid the big bucks to take care of fan problems.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio