View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 28, 2015, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It they want scoring to go up, they only have to convince officials to call the fouls that often go uncalled with one excuse or another. They've tried but many officials resist and the game devolves into too much of a physical wrestling match. The game was never designed to require a guard, or even post players, to have enough strength to play through level of contact that they are forced to deal with. The amount of contact that really creates and advantage is far less than what is commonly called. If the fouls are called, the game opens up and scoring increases.
Agreed but you have to be willing to do it an invest in the long term. THe year the NCAA tried this by conference play in the first year and definitely by the 2nd year it had gone back to the way it was.

Scoring will increase in the long term. When the value on recruiting, and training is on shooting, and skills not physical development and body type.

If you get a bunch of athletes in your program that are there to bang and defend physically then you take away physicality from the game scoring doesn't go up then. THen you get longer games, with more whisltes, less flow, kids who aren't doing what they've been trained or brought in to do, and needing to do things they aren't good at. Scoring doesn't go up that year or maybe even the next. Or if it does the fans and coaches freak out because its all foul shots. You need to be able to stick with it until you see cultural change in the types of players and sytle of play at mulitple high level institutions.

If you call the calls that are there the game will adapt and clean up. But the breaking in period will be rough (whether that is fouls, footwork, whatever) you just have to be able to get through it until its not just something officials are trying but rather something programs have to adapt to on a long term basis.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!