View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 18, 2015, 04:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Thanks for the info. My thinking is that the NBA is making a mistake in not having these calls made on the floor first and then reviewed.
They are missing out on the training and improvement of their officiating staff as well as generating more data for how many calls are made correctly and what is overturned.
Clear path, FF, and correct FT shooter situations are all calls which are simple to have made and then reviewed. Altercations involving multiple players or people coming off the bench are impossible to correctly assess on the floor without video.
Given the number of NBA games covered, those number seem really small to me, particularly the correct shooter (once per team for the whole season). And if you know you can go to the monitor for review on clear paths and flagrants, why call them to start with. It is more palatable to most involved parties in most cases for the officials to only make that determination after reviewing the play and seeing the entire context of everything that was happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Btw I think that 80% seems low for professional referees on what is tracked.
80% accuracy may be low, but that is 80% of a very select set of calls that are, since they are put in the reviewable category, more difficult to get right all the time. Remember, a majority of those plays were 2pt vs 3 pt and last second shots....both calls with very, very fine lines between the two results.