View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

What I don't understand here is how you can ask all players to step out of their mechanics when you need help. Certainly they can not know when you can or can not see something clearly.

The poster clearly implied that had he hustled more from behind the plate, he probably would have been able to make the correct call. At what point and how, do you communicate to your partner that you can't see something, so please adjust your mechanics so you can cover my butt? Is your partner supposed to help you out the whole game, or just when he receives the signal by osmosis that your eyes are blinded?

Listen, shit happens on the field especially in a two man system. Get out there and hustle and take care of your responsibilities. If by chance you can assist you partner, fine but make sure you get your job done correctly first. If you can't see a clear out then it is NOT an out.

I had a game where the ball was hit directly into the sun and when I next saw it, it was at the base of the outfield fence. My partner was watching the touch at first. OC said the ball hit the pole outside the field and bounced back. The runner made it to second and that's were he stayed until the next batter drove him in.

If life was perfect, they wouldn't need umpires!