View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I will work very hard to see everything that needs to be seen; and not so hard to not see what doesn't need to be seen (wait, is that enough negatives in the same sentence fragment??). It's about game management; those that handle that aspect get in way less "situations" than those that do not. Some umpires are less preferred partner because they are $hit-magnets, seeing what needs to be missed, missing what needs to be seen, then overanalyzing the (now) necessary conversations with coaches.

Actually, as an aside, it is one of my pet peeves when an umpire draws unnecessary and a ridiculous amount of attention to himself to announce "TIME" when nothing is happening. I particularly like it when announcing "TIME" during an already dead ball (like after a hit batter, ball out of play, or even a foul ball). Personally, if a coach (or my catcher) requests time then, I simply acknowledge the request, not announce it.

If it's a dead ball, and you announce "TIME" (making it double time), do you have to point twice and state "play" twice to fully make it live again?? Always wondered about that.

More serious note. When a runner "tags" on fly ball, but isn't actually in contact with the base when (or after) the ball is caught, would you (asking youngump, but applies to all) similarly (and consistently) deny an appeal because she didn't "leave" the base. If being at the base but not in contact is not leaving it, would you deny a pickoff tag (okay, that rule says in contact, but my point is where are you drawing the line??)?
In response to your question at the bottom of the post. There is a huge difference between the OP and discussion about leaving the base or not and the tag up on a fly ball. In the OP there was a very momentary loss of contact with the base (from what I understand, less than one second). On a tag play you are not likely to see this same momentary loss of contact with the base, but will instead either see contact with, or no contact with the base. The only way I can see this being an issue is if the runner, while attempting to return to tag, steps to the side of the base and doesn't actually touch the base. At that point, it is a tough call from one standpoint. Am I 100% sure she did not touch with the tip of her shoe? Again, to me this better be real obvious she was never in contact with the base after the first touch of a batter ball which has not struck the ground.