View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I will work very hard to see everything that needs to be seen; and not so hard to not see what doesn't need to be seen (wait, is that enough negatives in the same sentence fragment??). It's about game management; those that handle that aspect get in way less "situations" than those that do not. Some umpires are less preferred partner because they are $hit-magnets, seeing what needs to be missed, missing what needs to be seen, then overanalyzing the (now) necessary conversations with coaches.

Actually, as an aside, it is one of my pet peeves when an umpire draws unnecessary and a ridiculous amount of attention to himself to announce "TIME" when nothing is happening. I particularly like it when announcing "TIME" during an already dead ball (like after a hit batter, ball out of play, or even a foul ball). Personally, if a coach (or my catcher) requests time then, I simply acknowledge the request, not announce it.

If it's a dead ball, and you announce "TIME" (making it double time), do you have to point twice and state "play" twice to fully make it live again?? Always wondered about that.

More serious note. When a runner "tags" on fly ball, but isn't actually in contact with the base when (or after) the ball is caught, would you (asking youngump, but applies to all) similarly (and consistently) deny an appeal because she didn't "leave" the base. If being at the base but not in contact is not leaving it, would you deny a pickoff tag (okay, that rule says in contact, but my point is where are you drawing the line??)?
I think the red part is where I have my opinion on the situation I posted in the original post. Yes, under the technical definition of the wording, the runner should have been called out, but I think umpires make their money in the area between the written word and the practical application of the rule. One thing that does need to be considered is the level of play IMHO. If this was a Varsity game, I could see making this call, even though I have seen the exact same thing NOT CALLED (today at a Varsity Game I was watching) in a Varsity level game. I think the original play was a situation where the umpire was looking to call something, rather than observing and reacting to what happens.

In USA Swimming we have a saying about officiating. We are not there to catch swimmers doing something wrong, we are to observe the swims and make sure they comply with the rules. There is a difference, when you are trying to catch someone you are specifically looking for something to happen. When you are observing, you are watching everything and reacting to what needs to be reacted to.

Back to the plays for a second. The bigger problem I had with the entire mess, was the next half inning the runner was very clearly not in contact with the base while the pitcher was in the circle starting her pitch, and the out was not called. It was a much more blatant violation of the rule than what he called at 3rd base on the opposing team. It was so blatant that I felt I had to make the call from behind the plate (and so obvious as well). He also had as good if not a better view on the one I had to call.