View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
I assume these are NCAA case plays? Anyway, on the one quoted, I continue to maintain (though I think everyone continues to disagree with me) that the rules do not support an out here (at least the ASA and NFHS rule). The rule does not require the player to maintain contact with the base it simply forbids leaving the base (until the pitch starts at which point they are required to maintain contact). Almost everyone here believes that is a distinction without a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFHS
8-6-18 The runner is out when .... The runner fails to maintain contact with the base to which the runner is entitled until the ball leaves the pitcher's hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFHS
8-7 The lookback rule will be in effect when the ball is live, the batter-runner has touched first base or been declared out, and the pitcher has possession of the ball within the pitcher's circle. 8-7-3 Once the runners stops at a base for any reason, she will be declared out if she leaves the base.
How do you find a distinction here? Once she stops on a base, the two rules combine to mean she cannot lose contact while the ball is live and the ball is in the circle until the pitch leaves the pitcher's hand.

ASA 8.7-S and 8.7-T(2) have identical wording.

Frankly, the wording is MORE lax in NCAA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAA
12.8.13.3 The runner is out .... When, once she returns to a base for any reason, she leaves the base, unless ..... the pitcher releases a pitch to the batter.
So, not even fails to maintain contact, leaves the base. Yet, any loss of contact IS leaving the base.

@youngump, you're looking for a distinction that doesn't really exist to justify not wanting to appear nitpicky.

@chapmaja, you are paraphrasing the actual rule to meet YOUR interpretation of the intent of the rule, you are NOT applying the rule. That may suggest that your multiple questions about every game situation at your JV level games should suggest you read, listen, and apply, rather than interpret. You note consistency is the issue with coaches, yet you refuse to acknowledge that to be consistent, you must either call ALL of the actual infractions, or call NONE of the infractions.

There are more common sense ways of dealing with the "it's too nitpicky to call outs" in some of these situations, without attempting to state it isn't the rule, or you don't judge it violates the intent of the rule. Shifting feet on the base; sorry, coach, I didn't see that happen, I was watching the pitcher, and the ball status, and ......, and I will be more vigilant in watching all runners (including yours should not be verbalized). Standing next to the base without touching it without anything happening, or a runner wanting to clear cleat or slide tracks; coach, I granted time, I just didn't make it a huge presentation that would make me the center of attention. You mention to base coaches that it IS a violation if you see it and the ball is live, and that you would hate to have to make that call, BUT I will if your runners can't maintain contact with the base.

When you're calling NCAA on TV, and/or the game is being video'd by the teams and will be taken apart frame by frame; well, you better call time as a matter of preventative officiating as suggested by the case play (after the ball is in the circle, mind you) or call the violation.