View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 10, 2015, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
DA:

NFHS R8-S2-A3: Any runner who misses a base while advancing may not return to touch it after a following runner has scored. NOTE: Any runner who misses the first base to which he is advancing and who is later called out shall be considered as having advanced one base.

The answer to your question is no.

MTD, Sr.

UmpJim:

Excusing the two times that I had to correct a former NFHS Basketball Rules Editor when the said Editor gave a patently incorrect interpretation as an Official Interpretation, any interpretation that I give is not official (even though 99.999,999,...% of my basketball interpretations were and are correct, ) until the Rules Editor agrees in writing. That said, while Carl's interpretations may be correct, until the NFHS makes a ruling on such a play, Carl's interpretations can only be applied with the knowledge that the NFHS may say otherwise.

There is no play in the current NFHS Baseball Casebook that covers the situation being discussed in the OP. The search engine in the NFHS's publication is great for this sort of thing.

MTD, Sr.

MD Longhorn:

I am not sure why I included NFHS R8-S3-A2 in my OP, other than to remind everyone that umpires can protect an obstructed runner for more that one base under NFHS Rules.

MTD, Sr.
So there is no guidance in the FED supplemental interps. There is guidance in the other codes. The other code's rules could be used to call the runner out but we have interps that allow you to judge otherwise. Because FED hasn't addressed it you choose to rule other than how the other codes rule? Edited to add: Or perhaps you are rationalizing your original post because you were not aware of the NCAA and OBR interps?

Last edited by umpjim; Fri Apr 10, 2015 at 12:01pm.