View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 10, 2015, 10:51am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigda65 View Post
mtd,

do you think that calling the out "nullifies" the obstruction of the runner?

He has scored, ball is dead, under nfhs rules is he even allowed to come and retouch his awarded bases?

Da
DA:

NFHS R8-S2-A3: Any runner who misses a base while advancing may not return to touch it after a following runner has scored. NOTE: Any runner who misses the first base to which he is advancing and who is later called out shall be considered as having advanced one base.

The answer to your question is no.

MTD, Sr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
according to childress in his brd, ncaa and obr both have official interps. Childress recommends fed umpires treat as in ncaa. Ncaa uses umpire judgment that the obstruction occurred near enough the base that it could not be conveniently touched.
UmpJim:

Excusing the two times that I had to correct a former NFHS Basketball Rules Editor when the said Editor gave a patently incorrect interpretation as an Official Interpretation, any interpretation that I give is not official (even though 99.999,999,...% of my basketball interpretations were and are correct, ) until the Rules Editor agrees in writing. That said, while Carl's interpretations may be correct, until the NFHS makes a ruling on such a play, Carl's interpretations can only be applied with the knowledge that the NFHS may say otherwise.

There is no play in the current NFHS Baseball Casebook that covers the situation being discussed in the OP. The search engine in the NFHS's publication is great for this sort of thing.

MTD, Sr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by md longhorn View Post
how, then, would you propose the umpire "nullify the effects of the obstruction" in this case, in an nfhs game?
MD Longhorn:

I am not sure why I included NFHS R8-S3-A2 in my OP, other than to remind everyone that umpires can protect an obstructed runner for more that one base under NFHS Rules.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio