View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 09, 2015, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

This is a judgement call and it is a HTBT call to really say if it was a correct call or an incorrect call. But what we have to judge is that the runner was impeded by a fielder without possession of the ball (only part that applies in your situation). What I think most of us are saying is from 30 feet away it's hard for us to invision that the runner was impeded.

You mentioned that you thought they altered their path to go wider than they were going to go and that's why you ruled OBS. I ask, did they do that because of the fielders location?? Or did they take a wider path because they saw a play developing and they were attempting to be in a position to avoid a tag? This is the real judgement part that we have to figure out a way to be more consistent on.

When they first changed the rule and took about to receive out of the rule there were a lot of umpires who ruled OBS as soon as they rounded 3B and F2 had a foot in front of the plate. This was an incorrect call obviously, there has to be some sign that the runner was impeded before we can rule obstruction.

I understand that your association is "harping" to call this and I AGREE 100% umpires need to call it when it happens!! But calling it when they really aren't impeded, is just as bad as not calling it when they are impeded!