View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Years ago, when my HS alma mater was still open, I was the scorekeeper for our varsity softball team. We were on the road for a doubleheader and the first game ended up suspended due to rain and unplayable field conditions. so, a new date was set for later in the year.

If I understand correctly, teams are supposed to use the exact same lineup at the point of interruption. Our team lost a couple of players due to injury, so our coaches and I worked together to try to figure out which subs could go where in terms of the batting order and defensive positioning for the day we resumed play.

On the day of the makeup, as we exchange lineups for the resumption, the other team's coach submitted an entirely different lineup than before--some players that started the game originally now appeared in different locations in the new batting order. I honestly didn't know what to do, so I said nothing while asking myself if that was legal. As an aside, this particular coach was notorious for his eccentricity and attempting to do anything the umpires would allow.

They won the resumed game, but we won the second game in the bottom of the 7th, thanks to three straight throwing errors after we loaded the bases.

I've since learned that in our state, (or at least in our officials association), that when a game is suspended, the lineup cards from the point of interruption aren't forwarded to the new umpiring crew. It makes me wonder how the new crew would be aware of any warnings or other issues addressed prior to the suspension of play.

We note anything like restrictions/EJ's on the card and have them signed and they go with the home book. If you have a consistent lineup card management throughout your association(s) things should be easy for the new crew to figure things out.