Thread: ratings
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 09:33am
High Five Master

Missouri

As I've stated, I am a new basketball official. I only had one varsity game this past season and I was rated very low by both coaches. IMO, didn't have any issues during the game and it was pretty much a blowout. Several other new officials I have talked to in the same situation had the same thing happen to them. It drives me nuts that this anonymous system could possibly effect me down the road for postseason or better assignments. I really wish that coaches would have to tell you what they mean by a needs improvement score in a category. If the system is designed to help an official by providing that feedback, it should be more informative.

I know in my head that it's because I'm the new guy and you have to start somewhere, but damn. The same thing happened in softball and now I have a really good rating there. I know I have a lot to work on, which is why I'm studying the book when I can, talking to mentor and other peers, and attending camps when I can. But still frustrates me to no end that coaches are the only ones who do ratings.

Or maybe I just suck that bad.............I suppose it is possible.