Thread: ratings
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

In my area, the evaluations (if they are done during the year) are mostly by retired officials who were well respected when they called games. In theory, every official is to be evaluated once during "live action" be two or three different members of the committee and their reports are given to the assignor. In reality, the evaluations are done at camps in the area. Fortunately our chapter puts on one that is considered among the best in the state so there are excellent officials giving feedback to both the campers and the assignor.

I know I was not evaluated during this last season because they are supposed to speak with you after the game and go over their report (and I know one of the committee members and asked if an evaluator just forgot to meet with me). So as you can see...theory and practice are completely different. A member of our chapter can request an evaluation but I don't think anyone has made a request because they don't want to risk shooting themselves in the foot with one bad (or below average) game. In theory an evaluation is only suppose to be used to find officials who are ready for "better games"...see theory and practice comment earlier in post.