View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 27, 2015, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

I referee in North Dakota and we have had a shot clock (10 years) for quite few years (we also adopted the 3 point line in the 1982-83 basketball season...as you can imagine ND hasn't had a voice on the NF rules committee for quite some time). It started with our bigger school classification and is now implemented for both divisions (yes, we are that small and have only 2 classes of basketball).

I agree with both Pantherdreams and JRuts original comments on the issue.

As an official (and a parent), this is what I have experienced:

1) Games are much more enjoyable to work. Constant action is dictated by the shot clock and coaches have adjusted.

2) More kids are playing and therefore coaches are developing and spending more time with kids. Even the smallest schools are better at developing players because the constant action requires deeper benches. Historically, we saw teams with shallow benches slow play down to help keep their players fresh.

3) I officiated college basketball for 20 years and the number of problems with shot clock operators at the varsity level isn't a whole lot different than the small college level. We use the shot clock in subvarsity contests (soph and JV) and just like we train players, coaches, timers, and scorers....shot clock operators learn the trade as well at this level.

4) In my opinion, the shot clock has made the game different and for the better. I also live in a border city and our group covers Minnesota as well. Most of us would like to see Minnesota adapt the shot clock....it is more fun to officiate.

5) The vast majority of our games are covered with 3 officials....primarily because the coaches and administrators saw the need with the additional constant action both offensively and defensively.

6) The initial resistance due to cost was relatively short-lived, as it was seen that the benefits far outweighed the negatives. Around here it meant that a team delayed new uniform purchases for 1 year.

Just some thoughts from a guy who has lived and continues to live both worlds. The game of high school basketball is fine either way, no right or wrong...it is just my opinion that the games are more fun work and more kids are being developed and playing. We are here to make our game the best that it can be, I don't care if that benefits the college game or not...only interested in the impact on our game.

PS

North Dakota also implemented the Restricted Arc this year for our bigger shcools. I, personally, was not a big fan in the beginning. But, I was proven wrong....absolutely loved it, coaches loved it, and the players loved it. Really improved the game under the basket....I didn't think high school kids could adjust, but I was wrong. It is here to stay in our small part of the world.