View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It probably does make the game more enjoyable to watch. But, how much is "enjoyment to watch" one of the goals of HS basketball? That's what the question comes down to (plus, money and training, of course).
I don't think "enjoyment to watch" is the only benefit. Granted finances, training, are things that need to be overcome but the shot clock does more for high school athletes then just making a more enjoyable game.

- Increases player autonomy. Makes the game more player driven someone is going to have to make a shot, play, create more times per game.
- More possessions require more players to play.
- More possessions need to end when you get a good shot vs working until you get the perfect shot for the best player. Need for kids to be better shooters and take/make more shots.
- Increased number of skilled players since more players need to play more and need to be able to create or make plays.

More players playing with greater need to train and develop more universally skilled players.

Now these aren't officiating concerns as much as state of the game concerns. From a strictly officiating stand point adding a shot clock just adds a layer of rules and management.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!