Thread: Brain teaser.
View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 20, 2003, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Brain teaser.

Just wanted to throw this one in here. K's ball 4th and 10 from K's 5 yard line. Let's say that K29 is punting from his own end zone. His punt is high and short and hits R30 on the top of his helmet at the K 10 yard line and rebounds on the fly back into K's end zone where K29 catches it and is tackled.

The kick never touched the ground. Safety, score 2 points for R and K free kicks for their 20 yard line.

The force that put the ball back into R's end zone was still the kick by K. Therefore, by rule (don't have my rule books handy), K supplied the force that put the ball into K's end zone.

Now if the kick had been grounded, and then R supplied the force by his muff, etc. that put the ball back into K's endzone then K would be awarded a touchback and have the ball 1st and 10 from their 20 yard line.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the only time that K will not be awarded a new series after a legal scrimmage kick that has been touched by R beyond the expanded neutral zone.