View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

I think the play has some discussion merit, but you're asking the wrong question. At no time is this an appeal play; the BR did not miss the base, the BR did not proceed to first base. That isn't an appeal play, it's a call that must be made by PU when it occurs.

And you really don't give us all the info necessary to determine if it matters. You don't tell us how many outs, or if there were other runners. Here are some issues to consider:

1) With less than two outs, the run scores; this can only matter if the BR failing to advance is the third out.

2) If bases were loaded, NCAA (and NFHS, but not ASA) considers all forced advances as awarded bases. So, in that case, the run scores.

3) The "does not proceed" rule (12.2.4) says she is out and the ball remains live when she leaves the field of play. That didn't happen; but the rest of the offense made it a dead ball when they came out of the dugout to begin their celebration.

The rules appear to support (I say appear because the exact scenario is not covered, and that allows DA interpretation) PU calling the BR out, and the run not scoring (no run can score when the third out is a result of BR fails to reach first safely). There is no approved ruling on a case play that would have this run scored with two outs and a single runner on third.

Ironic that the run absolutely scores if anything but ball 4 or d3k, making the batter a BR. Now, do I make that call? Honestly, if the defense walks off, so will I, just as if they missed an opportunity to make an appeal. But they appear aware, I would be, too.