Thread: Advice
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 17, 2015, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I finished my first weekend with Mens' league and overall was pleasantly surprised how it went. I used many of the suggestions given here and it was effective. I called it relatively tight to start with, very decisive and loud with the whistle. I explained calls if asked but did not put up with whining, if it started they got ...... "guys I don't put up with questioning every call so don't." Honestly, had zero problems the first two games and they were actually pretty fun. The last game was not much fun ( easily killed the fun I had in first games) --- both teams tired and my partner (runs the league) was tired.

Towards end of game, one team was really getting mouthy so while administering FT I get both teams together to discuss. I told both teams "I'm done with any questioning of calls and any further comments by a player and you will be assessed a technical, period". The comments stopped until the last minute of 2 point game when my partner gave player T for questioning a call. I think it really sent a message because you could have heard a pin drop the rest of the game.

So.......... a big thanks for the advice : I went ahead and took pay for officiating then donated part of it back and part of it went for my son's fee. I am going to pass on the rules suggestions as I think they will help. I talked with league admin and he felt by having " real refs" the games went much, much better. He is now trying to recruit local officials in addition to my self so there is more consistency in calls. I told him as long as he "backed us " then he shouldn't have any probelms.

There is so much interest in the league I think it will be continued next year . Unfortunately, there are no men's leagues anywhere close to our area ( due to players being a&#@, and nobody will officiate).

Thanks again

RefK