Thread: Advice
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Advice for Adult League - Call It tight!!

I've refereed 4-men's leagues and currently am doing 3. I have set up leagues. The officials and rules are the most important.

Over 50% of the referees I have hired I had to let go. You have 10 adults on the floor. Your referees MUST treat them ALL like coaches. Explain your calls to them when needed. Call them tight. We call them like I do my high school games by strict NFHS rules. No hand-checking!! We often hear the old saying, "Let them play!" Trust me, THAT DOESN'T WORK.

Quick rules you will need.
1. $25 re-instatement fee for anybody kicked-out of a game.
2. All technical, flagrant & intentional fouls are automatic 2-points and the ball. Don't shoot the free-throws. This has cut down a lot of BS in our games.
3. Quick sub time-out. If a team has possession of the ball in their backcourt
and no defensive pressure. The can call "sub-time" and both teams can put in subs then.

Our league has been very successful and it has grown so that I have to turn teams away. Players tell us they enjoy playing. Last year we had 50 games and only one "Technical Foul" for unsporting behavior. These players aren't saints. I hear many of them are whiners and hellions in other leagues. The main thing is to get referees that make good calls and treat the players like adults.