View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
I just watched the video, and they play is not what Steve described. That particular rule (NCAA 11.15.3.4) is aimed at slap hitters moving towards the front of the box.

The umpire in the OP was incorrect. His options were to call a dead ball-strike (if the ball was in the strike zone), a dead ball-ball, or award first base. A "no pitch" is not the correct call in this situation.

In my opinion, the ball looks to be in the batters box, but it looks as if she threw her hip into the pitch. A dead ball -ball would have been appropriate. Interesting that the batter had already been hit by a pitch earlier in the game.
I agree with what others have said; the pitch was a dead ball "ball", not in the strike zone, but the batter made the ball hit her, not the pitch location. I also think the umpire restarted at 2-2, just the announcers adding another point that screwed up viewers' perceptions of the call.

Copying Big Slick post to note that, despite our knowledge that 11.15.3.4 is particularly intended to address slappers out front, the rule isn't limited to that. The actual language would require a "no pitch" ANYTIME
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAA 11.5.3.4
The batter is hit by a pitch that has not yet reached home plate, assuming she did not swing or attempt to bunt.

EFFECT- "No pitch" See Rule 10.10.
10.10.5 restates the same rule in the category of "NO PITCH", whereas 11.5.3 addresses all the possibilities when a batter is hit by pitch.