View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 02, 2015, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
I was also emailed the NFHS questionnaire. It came to me via MSHAA.

5. Permitting a player to have six personal fouls. I answered "yes"

Basketball is the only sport that has a limit. A football player can have 17 holding penalties in a game without disqualification. A hockey player can have 12 tripping penalties without disqualification. What makes basketball different? If we are worried about a foul fest, 1 more is not going to break the bank. In light of the hand check emphasis, we are seeing starter A1 going to the bench with 2 fouls and sitting until the start of the second half because he picked up "2 quick ones".

And then throw in the 2 Twenty minute halves possibility, there is 4 more mintes of game time. (Yes, I believe the NCAA should be 6 also)

Just curious of reasoning behind all of the "no" responses in the sticky note that Billy posted....
I suspect it is because if players are permitted an additional foul there will be more physical play. In my mind 5 is plenty for HS and College. (IIRC correctly one of the conferences experimente with 6 PFs [Big East?] in the late 80s; after a couple of years they wnet back to 5.)

(BTW, soccer has something slightly similar, albeit rarely invoked. A soccer player can be cautioned and then dismissed for "persistent infringement" of the laws of the game -- whcih generally refers to fouls. But there is not a magic number of fouls.)