View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 17, 2003, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
...Peter's article is the first where someone "important" agrees with me -- the plate umpire DOES NOT HAVE the best view of a checked swing. The PU is too close and most of the times I'm overruled it's when I'm tracking a pitch and the batter checks. I can see one or the other, not both -- I'm too close to see, for example, and outside corner curve ball and a batter checking his swing. If the pitch is a BALL, I will probably HAVE to check.

The plate umpire does not EVER, EVER, EVER have a better look at the checked swing. Disagree, fine. But we will have to A2D, then because I will never be convinced otherwise.
Okay, A2D. All I'm saying is if the PU definitely HAS seen the check swing AND calls "Ball; no he didn't go", that is not the same as your umpire not seeing the check and simply calling "Ball" only. If you don't EVER make the "Ball; no he didn't go" call then you can expect to get asked EVERY TIME there is a half swing, frivilous or not, and you can also expect your BU partner to overrule ANY TIME he feels the urge.

OTOH, those of us who CAN easily see a successful check, AND are still willing to call it as a decision reserved solely to the plate umpire (call and count balls and strikes - OBR 9.04a.2), will continue to use the UDP approved professional mechanic and expect our partners to honor our judgement call.

Now you say the PU "...does not EVER, EVER, EVER have a better look at the checked swing." Do you mean even with BU in A and a lefty at bat? And if you concede that single occasion, then why not otherwise when the PU has already deliberately made a decision? I don't know any PU's who would call "Ball; no he didn't go" unless they were absolutely certain they saw the check! Overruling a partner in that case is tantamount to calling him a LIAR, wouldn't you say?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser And I will NEVER be convinced that an umpire can refuse a request for a checked swing in OBR. It's in black-and-white. And it is poor game management for most umpires to refuse this request, even where it is allowed by rule.
You are aware there is no rule-based TIME LIMIT on check swing appeals, aren't you? So are you saying that you would NEVER refuse a request even after 2 or 3 innings had passed? Sure that's a ludicrous example, but it begs the question "Where are your limits, and would you refuse an appeal once those limits are exceeded?"

Cheers

[Edited by Warren Willson on Jul 17th, 2003 at 03:06 AM]