View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The case play where the dribbler bats the ball over the head of the opponent then runs around and touches it a second time specifically refers to a touch with the hands in order to have a violation. I would apply that same principle here.
That is a separate specific violation. 4-15-2 says you can bat ball in air provided it strikes floor before hitting it again with hand. That play is just an example of that rule. The violation is from touching it again with the hand.

Here, a first dribble ended. you now are holding the ball. you throw it to the floor few feet ahead of you. What is that? Dribble rule says dribble starts by throwing ball to floor. doesnt say how far away etc. But it could be a pass...we dont know what it was until we see what happens next. If i touch it, i call the original throw to floor a pass. if you touch it before anyone else then i call it a dribble. That's the "provided he is first to touch it" in those case plays.

What i will say about the other play is that the rule writers said words "touched" and "hand" together there. They didnt in these plays i've mentioned. That says to me it is not limited to the hand in these. thx