View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 16, 2003, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I CARE about doing a good job. I DON'T CARE if my partner takes a check swing I've called a ball and reversed it to a strike. I shrug my shoulders, say, "Then it's a strike," and give the new count.

Peter's article is the first where someone "important" agrees with me -- the plate umpire DOES NOT HAVE the best view of a checked swing. The PU is too close and most of the times I'm overruled it's when I'm tracking a pitch and the batter checks. I can see one or the other, not both -- I'm too close to see, for example, and outside corner curve ball and a batter checking his swing. If the pitch is a BALL, I will probably HAVE to check.

The plate umpire does not EVER, EVER, EVER have a better look at the checked swing. Disagree, fine. But we will have to A2D, then because I will never be convinced otherwise. And I will NEVER be convinced that an umpire can refuse a request for a checked swing in OBR. It's in black-and-white. And it is poor game management for most umpires to refuse this request, even where it is allowed by rule.

Again: Why, oh why, would I EVER care what that umpire calls? If he believes that batter offered, I'll take his word at it.

Rich

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Jul 16th, 2003 at 09:36 AM]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~`
Gotta agree, Rich...hell, its an umpires free strike!!!! I have worked with some guys that don't even see what happened and bang the batter, or better yet....as I am pointing and checking they look like a deer in the headlights!!!!!