View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 16, 2003, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
They all happen to me. Another crazy play brought about by lack of instinct on the part of the players.

Women's SP. Bases loaded, one out. Ground ball to the left of F5, who fields the ball and begins to throw to 1B. (Never mind that there were easier plays at every other base.)

As F5 is reaching back preparing to throw, she realizes that the runner from 2B is approaching, so she holds her ground and turns to face the runner, who proceeds to run into her. But F5 simply holds the ball high as if to throw it and never even comes close to tagging the runner! Then she throws to 1B to retire the B/R.

I was so conscious of the lack of a tag that I simply called the out at 1B. However, I quickly called interference and went from there. (Runner from 3B goes back, etc.) Everybody in the park agreed that I made the correct call, but there was one doubter—me. What's the call when the fielder with the ball makes no attempt to tag the runner and instead simply stands in the baseline and allows the runner to collide with her? Can't find that one in the book!

If this play happened in OBR, I could argue that the fielder simply failed to tag the runner and got only the out at 1B. Under ASA rules, I could make a case for a double play in that the runner was out for interference, and since the throw to 1B did retire the runner, the interference clearly prevented another out.

Obstruction isn't even on the horizon in this case. A defender cannot obstruct a runner when in possession of the ball. I don't understand where the thought even comes from in these scenarios.

For an interference call, I would have to see the runner do something (i.e. cross-arms, reach out, etc.) which would indicate the anticipation of a collision and no intent to avoid it. I don't think you have a double-play scenario as F5 seems to be the one who hesitated, just wasn't smart enough to make a tag. DMF!