Thread: Obstruction?
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 16, 2003, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Panda Bear
Saw an unusual one in a LL District Champ. game tonight. Batter hits a roller between 1B & pitcher. Pitcher can't get there, First baseman fields it, and tries to go the line for the tag (too far up the line to get back to the bag). Batter runner is too fast, and is too far past the 1st. baseman for her to even try to get a tag. But the 1st. baseman's foot clips the runner's heel, causing her to fall. Subsequently, she is tagged out. The rule book defines obstruction as the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball, impedes the progress of the runner. NFHS similarly requires posseddion, the act of fielding, or, receiving the ball.

But if the fielder doesn't make a play, is it ok to trip the runner if you can't make a tag? It wasn't intentional in this case, but intent is clearly not a factor in obstruction. I can imagine a fielder diving for a ball near the path, being flat on the ground with the ball, no chance to make a play, but swinging a leg up to trip the passing runner. My inclination would be to declare obstruction if a fielder with the ball, but not making a play, takes out a runner. But I don't see the rules supporting that. If there is clear intent, USC, but if I'm not sure of the intent, I'm not going to go there.

I would like some of the esteemed senior members' opinions on this.
Not an esteemed senior member, but judging by this:

But the 1st. baseman's foot clips the runner's heel, causing her to fall. Subsequently, she is tagged out. If F3 close enough to trip her, seems close enough to tag her. HTBT..
Probably award BR 1B and eject F3.

JMHO
glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.