View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 16, 2003, 12:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up FINALLY !!!!!

Someone had the .... well, guts, to change the stupid closely guarded distance from six feet to three feet. I wish they would dump this rule altogether, even in the NF where there usually is no shot clock. It's really stupid to have it with a shot clock, and almost as stupid to have it without one. How's this for logic: I'm a defender standing six feet from you. You have the ball. I am picking my nose and wondering how far I'm going to get with my girlfriend after the game when, five seconds later, the official blows his whistle and my team gets possession of the ball !!!

Such a deal! Yeah, that's worth a possession.

OK, I know most of us won't count and/or call unless the defender is showing some semblance of actually guarding, but isn't three feet instead of six at least a step in the right direction?

OK - off my soapbox for a while.

BTW - I noticed they also are now adding team control to throwins, just to determine free throws on offensive team control fouls, but have not changed the over and back rule on a throwin. I guess they really need some new terminology if they want to be consistent in their definitions.