View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 16, 2015, 02:42pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
playing under the rules used by the older levels

Perhaps its time to take a long look at those rules. I work a lot of JV games down here these days and sometimes it is a stretch to call them softball games. Good thing we have mercy rules in place. Even with them there are times when the winning team reaches a point where more scoring is pointless and the coach will have base runners step off the base to "create" an out. Maybe a no running on a passed ball would solve some of this. I also think maybe batting through the order once an inning might help. I realize there is a lot of resistance to any of these ideas. Here in Florida the powers that be do not want a tie breaker rule at any level. Just one old umpire with 50+ years experience thoughts.
You're not going to get different rules for JV simply because not all JV programs are as bad as you mention. Why burden organizations that have decent teams with tee ball limits? In my old neck, the only thing we had for JV was time limits.

OTOH, we had Varsity games that were similar to what you describe. And coaches on teams that were winning big would stop advancing on passed balls, go "station to station" on base hits, and would purposely leave bases early to stem the flow. It happens.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker