Thread: Blarge
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 13, 2015, 12:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If you make it a double foul by default, the dueling, obstinate officials scenario (if that's what you wish to call it) is the only option. And more importantly, it guarantees that one foul which is reported is wrong. (block/charge simultaneously IT CAN'T HAPPEN) The argument can be made that this is the lesser of the evils (I disagree) but I find it really difficult to say that this makes sense. If they are allowed to confer (nothing I read anywhere says they can't) hopefully they will go with the correct call.
Welpe's point is that forcing the double foul removes the opportunity for both officials to get obstinate. Frankly, I also never considered the obstinate officials as the intended situation. The NCAAW don't even have a provision for this, and they handle it the way your email respondent said to do it. If NFHS wanted us to do it the NCAAW way, they would word the rule the way they do in NCAAW. If they wanted us to do it they way it's done in NCAAM, they'd word the rule the same way the NCAAM book does.