View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 12, 2015, 11:22am
Stubborn Member

1. Not getting a new 10 seconds after a time-out called from the backcourt or a deflection.
-Seems to me that calling a time out is a way to avoid getting the violation. And it's not like a team gets unlimited time outs, anyway. And I've never seen it as any sort of problem. Change for the sake of change... not good.

2. Eliminating scoring on any charge call.
-Umm...

3. Adding specific information to the rules book for cleaning up post play.
-So the defense can't put a hand on a player, but they are allowed to "bang" in the post? That doesn't make sense.

4. Calling a time-out and moving the ball to the half-court line.
-No. You're taking away strategy for no reason. Getting the ball to where you want the inbound after a time out is part of the game.

5. Permitting a player to have six personal fouls.
-Again... change for the sake of change. There's no problem to address with this.

6. Widening the lane to 16 feet/opening up post play.
-No. Why do this?

7. Changing the closely guarded to 3 feet instead of 6 feet.
-No. One, I've never seen it as an issue. And two, why?

8. Adding the defensive arc to the floor.
-Yet another solution without a problem. I understand why others have it, but I don't see it as nearly a big enough problem to go through all the things necessary to implement it (money to change floors, training of officials and coaches, etc)

9. Providing a definition for a secondary defender.
-Should the book also define what a "ball" is?

10. Playing the game in halves.
-I really don't know. Would this, or should this, affect the number of time outs a team gets? I mean, the time between the quarters (minus halftime) kind of acts as 6th and 7th TOs right now.

11. Playing with a shot clock.
-There has only been one time in my career where a shot clock would have got the game going. We had a player dribble the ball by the division line for over a minute straight, while everybody else just stood around waiting. The fans eventually started yelling to "do something". But was it a problem? No.

12. Adding a sock color restriction/regulation to the uniform rule code.
-LOL. I've looked at different color socks all year on team members and thought, "I wouldn't be surprised if by next year they expanded color rules to socks." Please don't tell me it's true.