View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Calling what you can't see?

Coaches often ask for things that we just don't or can't see. Sometimes we can we just see them differently. This really isn't a concern of mine. With the ability to use multiple technologies to review and track officiating of games however . . . can you see a point now or in your career where if you could consistently see something was a violation when you reviewed tape but you know in games you wouldn't catch it that, you would start calling it as a automatic? What about fouls?

Let me give you two scenarios:

1) After reviewing game tapes with your association or assigner it seems that there is a lot more clutching and grabbing on cutters being no called then people in the room are comfortable with. In real time though and moment officials including those on the tapes either missed it or passed because they didn't feel like met a standard/threshold for calling a foul. Wathcing the tapes there is general agreement now that these are in fact fouls. When seeing similar situations in the future would you start calling those fouls? Your moment gut says no, but the conversations you've had after the fact tell you that you aren't tight enough with this . . .

2) After reviewing games tapes with your association and assigner it seems that while in real time it was unclear as to whether players are lifting their pivot foot before or after the ball is released, that the tape in slow motion showsthat players who start their dribble above waist level on attacking dribbles are almost never getting the ball out of their hand before the ball comes up. Would you start calling that action a travel even though you couldn't distinguish in real time, but your review of performance indicates you are missing those . . .

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!