View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 01:35pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Oh, you thought I meant douche there?
Whenever I get confused by you young whippersnappers texting lingo I just pop over to Urban Dictionary and check out the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If the L gets over earlier, he's there and is the best person to officiate post play.

I find there's too many people who seemed bothered by a rotation and a rotation back -- those are the people who complain about people who rotate too much and, not coincidentally, don't rotate enough.

Consider: Player's posting up, opposite block. Ball's on the C's side, above the FT line. If I think there's a decent chance it's ending up in the post's hands there, I'm rotating over. If the ball's passed across the court to another guard up high, now I have the same setup I had a few seconds earlier, but reversed. Why is this a bad thing -- because I'm forcing the T and C to move or to be aware of where I am as the L? That's part of our job. And if that pass does come into the post...I'm there, with perfect position. If a player starts posting up on the other side ...wash, rinse, repeat...I rotate back over.

At the high school level, I'd rather see crews rotate more than try to give people more reasons to not rotate. Lots of HS officials don't need those -- they already don't rotate enough.
There are plenty of reason we can give officials to rotate and/or not rotate. The key is developing a sense of when the ball is gonna stay over there versus when it will probably come back. At some point it stops becoming a science and starts becoming an art.