View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 01:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Insisting other referees only use rule book terminology is douchey? TIL.
Oh, you thought I meant douche there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Another thing to consider is the strength of your crew. A strong C should be able to referee post play on his side by himself if the Lead is not quick enough to get over. If there is an inexperienced guy on the crew then perhaps be quicker to get to his side. I work with a lot of guys who start bailing from C as soon as the ball enters their area (don't do that BTW), so you gotta consider that if you are patient and don't rotate you might end up with two Trails (never a good thing) until old C gets his head out of his ass. It all depends.
If the L gets over earlier, he's there and is the best person to officiate post play.

I find there's too many people who seemed bothered by a rotation and a rotation back -- those are the people who complain about people who rotate too much and, not coincidentally, don't rotate enough.

Consider: Player's posting up, opposite block. Ball's on the C's side, above the FT line. If I think there's a decent chance it's ending up in the post's hands there, I'm rotating over. If the ball's passed across the court to another guard up high, now I have the same setup I had a few seconds earlier, but reversed. Why is this a bad thing -- because I'm forcing the T and C to move or to be aware of where I am as the L? That's part of our job. And if that pass does come into the post...I'm there, with perfect position. If a player starts posting up on the other side ...wash, rinse, repeat...I rotate back over.

At the high school level, I'd rather see crews rotate more than try to give people more reasons to not rotate. Lots of HS officials don't need those -- they already don't rotate enough.