View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 01:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
WTF is a flex?? I'll assuming you are talking about rotating (not switching either mind you, switching happens during a dead ball). If there is a zone of any kind and I am Lead I stay at close down the whole time. I don't rotate across, even if the ball has settled below the FTLE on C side -- the ball is very likely to swing back to the middle or skip pass to strong side. I only go across if there are 7 or more players over there or two defenders have started trapping the ball and I feel the ball will stay over there long enough for me to rotate. It's a feel when it comes down to it, but you can't go wrong under rotating with a zone. Sometimes you gotta referee from where you are.
You know what he meant by flex. DBAD.

The one time it goes down into a post player and you're in the closed down position not rotating "cause it's a zone" -- and force the C to officiate that post player...the crew is out of position. If you rotate once it's in the post, you'll be moving at the money shot...out of position.

It's OK to rotate multiple times in a possession and it's not a failure on your part to rotate over and then have to rotate back a few seconds later. Wait a beat, get a feel, then go.

Look for reasons to rotate. Immediate shot, immediate skip pass, drive to the bucket are 3 reasons not to rotate. Adam's advice is the best advice in this thread for someone wanting to understand 3-person and "when to rotate" the best.