View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 12:48pm
Back from the DL

Sub jumping the gun

I worked with a new, inexperienced partner recently. We had an unusual experience in a JVB game recently (same one that went to OT recently).

My partner has a common foul on A-1 in the backcourt. Team B is in the double bonus, so as my partner is reporting the foul, we go to the opposite end for B-2 to shoot two. Just before I administer, there's a time-out request (60 seconds).

During the time-out, my partner informs me of this: While my partner was in the reporting area, subs B-6 and B-7 tried to come in from the table. (There was no horn.) B-6 was stopped and sent back to the table, but B-7 made it through. After the foul was reported, my partner went to Coach B and said the sub can't come in yet, so B-7 had to go back, and B-3 had to come back the floor.

I was asked whether this was handled correctly, or there should be a technical foul on B-7. I offered that that T probably should have been called while B-7 was in the act, but I thought it was too late after getting B-3 back in. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, B-7 could get into the game during the time-out, anyway, yes?

Thoughts? Thanks.