View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 05:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warren Willson

Steve, here is a direct quote from your post:
    "While I was consistent, I was consistently crappy by my accepted standards (and likely by the teams' opinions). I left the field knowing I had been consistent but that I had called a poor game"
I simply picked up on your own assessment of your zone, whether that was for one game or not is irrelevant to the point that was made.
Actually, Warren, it was stated specifically about a single and, indeed, is highly relevant.
The reason a crappy zone existed for the single game---one that was not acceptable to my standards---was because I attempted to do exactly as you state. Make the zone for that game consistent with a couple of early slightly missed pitches. Thus the game included many more "slightly missed pitches" when it need not have had to.

While you wish to continue to purposely take statements out of context and portray them falsely, it only shows to prove your desire to portray false information rather than be an asset to the boards.

Quote:

You said, paraphrasing "Fix your mistakes".
I said, paraphrasing "Only fix your mistakes if you can do it before the end of the first inning".
I don't agree with your paraphrasing, Warren. I didn't say to "fix your mistakes."
Once a pitch has been called wrong it's not able to be "fixed." What I believe I said, if you care to review it, is admit it was incorrect and then get on with calling a good zone for the balance of the game.

I would agree, however, that your advice included direction to attempt to "fix your mistakes", and to do so by continuing to repeat those same mistakes so that they do not then appear as mistakes within the game. It seems, Warren, that indeed that is the disagreement we have. I don't believe you can "fix" bad pitch calls that you've made. While I admit error, you advocate hiding those slightly missed pitches by making your zone for the day the same----purposely missing those slightly missed pitches so that they are consistent with your original misses---thus resulting in a complete game of many missed pitches.

Quote:

As usual, you seemed to be bound and determined to work in your sage advice even if that meant reacting negatively to what really sounded like a darn good job of calling balls and strikes on Mick's part.
Warren, the reason Mick started the thread is that it was apparent that HE was not satisfied with his own zone for that day. I wasn't negative with Mick, and in fact noted having gone through the same experience myself in the past. It seems to me you began the negativity in your desire to twist words to make implications that simply were not there. I recommend anyone questioning that merely just review the posts of the thread. I responded to you and to your twisted negativity toward me.

Quote:

I offered the contrast in an effort to get him to focus on the one thing that most adult pitchers are after from the umpire - a consistent zone that is not too low.
While this may surprise you, Warren, adult pitchers don't mind zones that are too low.
It is the adult batters who don't appreciate it.............
I hope this may have enlightened you.

Just my opinion,

Freix