View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 01, 2015, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm done, too. I tried to be helpful, I tried to explain to him how things were.

He came back sarcastic. He came back acting like we were the ones who have no clue.

That's fine -- he has no idea what the purpose of a basketball official is. For the most part, we're calling fouls when a team is disadvantaged -- it's our job to keep a game fair according to the rules, not according to a coach's perception of what constitutes the "right" way or "wrong" way to play defense.

Those defenders can play defense with their arms all day. One of three things will happen:

(1) B will pick up a lot of fouls when an A player is disadvantaged or when they commit an automatic.

(2) The A players will not be disadvantaged, but B will be by putting themselves out of position.

(3) B will get very lucky and get the ball clean every time. This is unlikely.
Apologies for the sarcasm. It was to be directed at the rules themselves. Not the guys that enforce them (or take their time to try to explain them).
Thanks again. I've learned a lot and will watch games much differently (and try to teach other parents and coaches).