View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 31, 2015, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrroo View Post
I'm just wondering if so much contact wasn't allowed, it would allow the players to develop and the game would look a lot more fluid.
When I was coaching my children when they were under ten, I would try to talk to the officials before the game and say that it may be difficult for the defense to play without fouling, but it was very difficult for the offensive players to make plays when they were being fouled. Sometimes, I thought it helped, but most officials seemed to ignore my advice and not call many fouls.

When I am officiating HS varsity, I expect the players to be able to play through contact and they have to earn the "and-ones". When I am officiating players 9 and under, I try to call the fouls, but let a lot of the violations go unless they are really bad OR if the violation (e.g., travelling) enabled them to score a basket when they wouldn't have otherwise. 7th graders fall somewhere in the middle and they should be able to play through some contact. Similarly, on defense, it is OK to make some contact. You should permit some contact by the defense in practice. A foul is just a foul; it is not a sin.

Before the game, you could ask the officials if players are allowed to "hand-check" the dribbler.

Before a nine-yr-old game that I am going to call, I may tell the coaches that I plan to call the fouls, but not call the marginal violations. The reaction of the coaches is about 50-50. Some say thanks and others say that they need to learn the rules. I had one set of 9-yr-old coaches who wanted me to call the violations in the first game of the year. So, I did and the final score was something like 6-2, The 8-yr-old game which I had right before that one was 18-14 with not a lot of walking and carrying calls made. In the long run, I don't think it makes a difference. The kids will eventually learn to play through contact and play without committing violations very often. I just happen to think it is more fun when more points are scored.

(It is interesting officiating 9-yr-old girls games when so many of them play defense by standing next to the offensive player but don't get in the offensive players "bubble" even it they are in the paint.)

(RBSQ -> Rhythm, Balance, Speed and Quickness. If contact does not affect the ball handler's RBSQ, there isn't going to be a foul.)