View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 31, 2015, 12:17pm
Official & Member

To ccrroo...kudos to you for coming here to seek advice and answers. Most youth coaches don't care enough to go to such lengths to get (correct) answers.
You are getting excellent advice from a goldmine of experienced and talented basketball officials.

The broader view...you should approach the leadership of your league and calmly and diplomatically suggest that they contract with officals who are experienced and agree to "teach". You have heard from those here that don't see their role as teacher at your level. I can assure you there are just as many of us are willing to teach young players (and coaches) during games. I got my start in youth rec ball and I will still gladly do it on occasion. If your league is clear about the experience and expectations, they will likely get officials better suited to the leagues needs. Clear communication UP FRONT is the key with any assigner. He or she knows which individuals would accept the role of teacher or trainer and which ones won't. Obviously, it's going to cost a little more but I contend that it will be worth it...less frustration among players, coaches, and parents.