View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights_Coach View Post

NFHS Basketball Rule Book 2014-15 Rule 10-5-5 states:
"The head coach shall not permit team members to leave the bench area and/or playing court for an unauthorized reason.
PENALTY: (Section 5) Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in. The foul is charged directly to the head coach. (Arts. 3, 5) Penalized if discovered while being violated. (Art. 4) Penalized when discovered. (Arts. 4, 5) Only one technical foul is charged regardless of the number of offenders.
Unauthorized reason, usually when they leave its authorized. Kid is acting up coach sends him to the locker room or out the gym, that's authorized. It's a very vague rule and meant to stop deceitful behavior for gains.

You are just doing what most coaches do is get fixated on what you want to hear. This inability to comprehend what's being told/explained is a special power that most to all coaches have. Your only sense of reality when it comes to basketball is that which you have constructed in your head.

The fact also remains that some rules are very loosely adhered to at lower levels. The higher the level the more strict the letter of the law is applied, that's the fact, and its for many reason. The officials my not know, the game is not as organized, etc. It is what it is. In your case, it's middle school. The last time I worked a MS game where the coach thought he was Pat Riley and his team was Showtime I can tell you that within 3 minutes of the game starting he had a T, couple of his players had T's, and the game was nothing like showtime. It was like a MS game. It was sloppy, boring, every fan knew all the rules. Each parent's kid was the superstar who was going to make the NBA, and the coach was dangling on one thread.

That was also the last time I worked a MS game. I don't care about the kids. I don't care about the coaches. I care about the job I do on the court. I work to manage the game and hope that things go smoothly. I will answer questions, I will not coach or educate. I have learned that unless asked no one (players and coaches) don't want to hear. Heck even when asked, they don't really want to hear.